The Charlotte Mecklenburg Library works with businesses during all phases of their start-up and continued growth. The resources available through the Library are powerful tools for finding sales leads, determining your competition, gathering customer demographic data…plus much more.
Tips for Business Research:
- Get a Charlotte Mecklenburg Library card. You’ll need this in order to access many of the free resources listed below.
Go to www.cmlibrary.org/online and use these resources:
- Selling to other Businesses? Need to know your Competition? Use ReferenceUSA to create a list of businesses.
- Understand your Industry and your customer’s industry. Find articles and trade publication data in Business Source Complete. Relate quotes from these authoritative publications to your business through your website, your newsletter, on Facebook, and Tweet about them.
- Know What’s Going On in the city and the business climate, because it will affect your business. Charlotte Business Journal (online access within library buildings) and The Charlotte Observer will tell you what’s happening next.
- Find answers to Business Dilemmas, such as cash flow, online payments, and advertising, in books and articles from Entrepreneurial Studies and Small Business Reference Center.
- Everyone needs Help. Find mentors through the Encyclopedia of Associations (Gale Directory Library) and SCORE.
- Selling to People? Get information about your target market from the U.S. Census Bureau. Find out how many people are in your target market and which part of your geographic area they densely populate.
- Businesses sell products or services. If you want to help people or give something away, start a nonprofit organization. The Library has books and databases for all aspects of this, including finding grants in the Foundation Center Directory. (available at Main Library and Regionals)
- Take Classes. Continue to learn. The Library has free classes in Starting Your Business, Microsoft Word and Excel, Internet Basics, Facebook, Blogging, and Technology Tutors for 1-on-1 Support, and more.
- READ. Learn about what you don’t know or understand. Find books in the Library’s Catalog.
As always, the answer to your business research question is….
find help at the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.
Visit your local branch or
call 704-416-0100 for more information.